Magnesium is an essential mineral that assists in over 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It is the second most abundant mineral inside cells, where it also participates in converting food (especially carbohydrates) to energy. Over 60 percent of the body’s magnesium is stored in the skeleton, and the remaining portion is primarily housed in the muscles. It is crucial for energy production, bone and muscle health, physical strength and mobility, neurological health, and metabolism.
Magnesium Buffered Chelate is one of the best absorbed forms of magnesium, where a magnesium ion is bound between two glycine amino acids, forming a very stable chelate, which eliminates the traditional loose stools or upset stomach that may occur with magnesium supplementation. Mineral chelates can bypass normal modes of absorption in the intestine and therefore, avoid the competition that occurs between minerals for absorption. In this way, larger amounts of magnesium pass through the intestine and are available to the body. The unique process of “sandwiching” magnesium between the glycine molecules also protects it from being bound by dietary compounds, further enhancing its availability.
- Bone Health – Magnesium partners with calcium in maintaining bone health. Many individuals supplement calcium without adequate magnesium, leading to ineffective support for bone health.
- Digestion & Elimination – Individuals with low stomach acid or less-than-optimal digestion often lack adequate magnesium since absorption is compromised. Magnesium chelates help to restore healthy magnesium balance when digestion is not efficient. It also promotes a healthy elimination pattern.
- Cardiovascular Health – Magnesium helps support muscle relaxation and function, which is vital to cardiovascular health since the heart is a muscular organ. Magnesium is also an important cofactor in several enzymes that support blood vessel function and heart health.
- Relaxation & Sleep – As magnesium helps muscles to relax, it can enhance relaxation, promote a sense of calm, and support normal sleep patterns.
- Blood Sugar Health – Magnesium is an important mineral in assisting the cells in absorbing glucose from the blood and therefore, supports a normal blood sugar level.
- Kidney Health – As magnesium balances calcium in the body, it supports healthy kidneys and assists in preventing unnatural accumulations of calcium in this organ.